Paayasam is a sweet dish which is made during occasion/festivals in southern parts of India. There are various types of paayasams that are made either with sugar or jaggery. Jaggery is considered to be healthy than using sugar. During my childhood, there has never been icecreams/pizzas/chocolates, instead these kind of paayasams are made as a snack after school.
Paasiparuppu is considered to be one of the high protein pulse. This is pretty simple yet delicious one, as there is no need to make any jaggery syrup for this and it takes no more than 10 mins to prepare this kheer. (i am little scared of handling the recipes that need jaggery or sugar syrup. :)))
Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Channa dal - 1 tbsp
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup
cardamom - 3 nos powdered
Salt - a pinch
Cashew and Raisins - 8 nos
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Pre-requisites before starting to cook:
1. Powder the Elaichi with a spoon of sugar in a mixie.
2. Grate the jaggery and keep it aside. This is easier during cooking.
3. Boil and cool the milk required for this.
1. In a cooker pan, add a spoon of ghee and roast the moong dal and channa dal till they become golden brown in colour. Add water 5 times than the dal amount. If you have taken 1/4 cup of dal, add 1 and 1/4 cup of water. Close the pan lid and allow for 5 whistles.
2. Parallely place the grated jaggery in a bowl and add water such that the jaggery is immersed in it. Keep the stove in medium flame. Let it cook till the jaggery is completely melted. No need to wait for the syrup to form. Remove from flame once the jaggery is completely melted.
3. Once the jaggery water is cooled, filter it for any dirt and keep it aside.
4. In a non stick pan, add a small amount of ghee and roast the cashew and raisins. Keep it aside.
5. Open the cooker pan and mash the dal mix a bit. Add the filtered jaggery water to it and mix them well.
6. Switch on the stove and allow the dal to cook for 2 mins with jaggery. Add a pinch of salt and powdered elaichi. Now add the boiled and cooled milk to the mix. Stir them nicely for a minute.
7. Switch off the flame and add the roasted nuts.
8. Enjoy the delicious payasam. :))